Thursday, September 25, 2008

Another adventure!

So, Michael and I are headed to Jefferson City today to get my official blood counts for the trial for this new medicine. We are still not sure if I am going to "Make the cut". On all, but one criteria, I hit the mark. My liver is functioning pretty well. My counts, at least, seem to indicate this. I must admit that I don't feel overwhelmingly wonderful all of the time. I think it will just take time for me to start to feel good again. Every time I eat, I feel the digestive process going on in my body. It is a bit wild. It is not necessarily bad, just a new normal that I need to get used to.

Overall, I feel better and I think my body is metabolizing food and medicine more efficiently. My bilirubin count is in ideal range, which says a lot about the liver. It is a resillient organ...an amazing one at that. It has stem cell functionality and can regenerate. How bizarre. Regardless, my liver is getting used to the stint and I am able to eat better and my coloring is back to normal. My peach fuzz hair is growing in. And, I am going to be starting a new medicine.

If, for some reason, I can't get into this trial now...we will just start on another medicine. It is not a one-medicine world. And, of course, if the clinical trial people push back on me about the trial, then Michael and I are ready and willing to argue and petition to see if we can get in. But, if it doesn't work, we have our alternative medicine ready to go and we will just keep moving forward.

I will keep you all posted about our road trip today when I get back!

Blessings,
Lolo

1 comment:

S. Lute said...

Good luck, Laura- hope you get in!
Scott