Sunday, September 28, 2008

Building confidence.


Heather and I took the kids on a road trip this weekend to Columbia, MO. It seems that life is putting me back into Missouri these days with travelling to Jefferson City on Thursday then turning around and going to Columbia, MO on Friday night. The Columbia trip was fun. We went down there for a Tae Kwon Do tournament. We are just trying things out and figuring out if we like Karate. Heather and I thought the tournament would give Morgan, Jack and Thatcher a bigger picture of what the sport is about. And, it would help me figure out what the sport is all about too.

Morgan, I must admit, made me so proud. She really stepped up to the plate. It is very confusing to compete for the first time and she got her form correct and then did some spot sparring, which is not something she is used to. She got stuck on one or two of her moves, but she worked through it herself. I was so proud of her perseverence. I could care less if she gets first, second or third. Fourth place, with a wonderful comment from the judge about her stick-to-it attitude, made me so proud.

Jack, who is pictured above, had to wait around quite a bit for his turn. Heather and I were hoping they would let Thatcher and Jack go earlier as they are members of the Tiny Tiger class. These are kids that are five and under. Anyway, Jack was just so cute. When he started to go, I watched him step up as well. They let the Tiny Tigers have a coach on the floor to help them with moves if they want. But, Jack didn't want any help. He just made up his own form on the spot and shouted "HIYA!" really loud. I was cracking up. The judges loved it. Of course, in the future, he would need to do an actual form of four to seven moves, but for yesterday...it was perfect!

I didn't get tp watch Thatcher because they split Jack and him up as Thatch is a little older. But, Thatcher seemed happy about the experience and was ecstatic to be there. Heather got to watch him and to video him. It was a very sweet event.

Blessings,
Lolo

No comments: