Monday, May 26, 2008

Chemo and how it changes things.

So, I am halfway through this eight week process of chemo. Keep in mind, that things can always change. The doctors could want me to do more chemo. but I bet my liver is in check and we can move forward and do a clinical trial when this is over. Just as things can turn bad, they can also flip to the good.

As far as my tolerating this chemo, i have had to alter my diet a little. Before chemo, i was going for a vegetarian approach. i will continue that after the chemo...but not only are my taste buds changed, but my body is tolerating food differently. I am not sure why, but it seems that I have a better ability to digest meat than I did before. I just realized that this week after I kept trying to push veggies, but I wasn't getting enough food.

I had a freak out moment when the nurse asked me to get on the scale and my weight was very low. I know most women would be excited about this, but for me...weight and nutrition are imperative to healing. When I get sick, I have a tendency to lose weight. That is how it has been since I was a kid. The same is true for episodes of depression. I can easily lose my appetite and often have to eat regardless of if I am hungry. I find that life and everything else can get in the way of me eating. I can often go long periods of time forgetting to eat. I know most of you would think this is crazy and it is. It really is.

However, I have worked on my nutrition and even though I like to exercise because it takes the edge off of my anxiety, I have found it difficult to find foods that can help me feel strong and work on getting stronger. I have difficulty getting enough food. So, I thought I would let you all know I have gone back to meat for a while. A big confession, but it has allowed me to put a little more weight on and feel stronger. Who knows, maybe the chemo puts more acid in my stomach causing me to digest meat better. Regardless, just doing veggies alone has been a problem for me while on this medicines. It was making me not want to eat, which isn't good. So, I am living like a carnivore for a while.

As far as everything else, my taste buds are kind of shot. Chemo goes after fast-growing cells and the mouth is a target in this process. Lemon drops help so i bought some over the weekend. Though I got a break from chemo last week, the fatigue is building over time so it has been difficult to exercise. I did walk yesterday...about 3 or 4 miles which was nice. I plan on getting back out on the bike once the hair loss is done. My scalp is pretty sore still and probably will be for a while. The thought of putting a helmet on my head is not appealing, yet helmets are important...so I will wait a little longer. It is hard for me not to be on the bike. I am addicted, but patience is a virtue that I need some work on...so I will work on it.

Overall, I feel pretty good. My comments above are not meant to be a complaint, just a status report. Each day is a blessing to me regardless of chemo.

I hope each of you had a wonderful Memorial Day!
Lolo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,

I read your blog at least twice a week. Seeing you in your hat reminds me of you and Katie (Welch) and Theresa (Peterson) and me with our hats in high school. I still have mine somewhere....brings back good memories. I am overcome with emotions when I think of all you are enduring. May God bless you and yours!!

Anonymous said...

Laura,

I'm obviously new to leaving comments...sorry....it's from Michelle Andrew

Anonymous said...

You are one of the few people who look cute and funky when bald. I bow to your brave attitude. Thanks for sharing with us.

The Girardeaus said...

Hi Laura,
Wow- thanks for turning us on to your blog. You are something else, cuz. I know you're on top of this as usual and that you and your awesome team will beat this latest challenge. I'm so glad to hear in your own words what's going on, how you're coping. Our love to all at the Plunkett house. We're proud of you & your incredible spirit & attitude. Hope your head feels better today and that you're back on your bike in no time.
Love,
Alicia