Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Veggies and chlorophyll drinks

So, I got some good questions from Scott regarding what veggies are good to mix together and how to get started with this whole juicing thing. He also asked about chlorophyll. I will give you all a little detail about these things.

First of all, don't get too wrapped up in buying a juicer and overwhelming your kitchen with veggies that you may or may not like. Most veggies, that are juiced, have a natural sweetness to them. The juice tastes WAY better than the veggie so that should be encouraging to each of you. You might have an appliance at home that serves as a juicer, but you didn't realize was a juicer. Like the Magic Bullet, which is a juicer, blender, mixer. I went to target and bought a cheap Juiceman, I have gotten my $50 out of it. I realize $50 is not ideal to spend, but you will find that you actually like some of the juices once your taste buds get used to them. And, many books have a fruit juice section so your kids will go crazy for that. That is a good way to get them started on juicing.

My staple drink is 3 carrots, 3 or 4 stalks of celery, 2 apples(for sweetness) and 4 to 6 kale leafs. What is kale? That is what i asked when I got started because I got a little overwhelmed by all the veggies. Kale is a leafy green that is darker green and in the lettuce section. All grocer sections should have kale. If they have an organic section, it may be there. You will be surprised that all these veggies only make about an 8oz glass of juice. But, it is a good serving size. A good starter set for veggies for a while. Other things to add if you want some more taste is beets, but don't overwhelm your system with beets. Beets, in general, MOVE food in your body. So you want to be gentle with them and respect the POWER OF THE BEET!

Lastly, if you go to www.herbsetc.com, you will find a supplement called Chloroxygen water. This is what I use. It is a small bottle with a dropper and you just drop between 8 to 16 drops in your water. It makes your water green, but if you can get over that, it tastes pretty decent. It kind of tastes like you are eating grass...I have not really tasted grass before so please don't imagine me doing so. Though, I should probably take that back because I do use wheatgrass in juicing and it tastes just fine. Regardless, these dropper systems are helpful because you can used distilled/regular water and it won't be so expensive. There are a lot of very pricey products that talk about ionized water and though they may be great, I am not sure you all need to go to expensive measures for health maintenance. You might check out Whole Foods, Wild Oats or any other organic food store for the chloroxygen water. They should have it, the product is a great source of chlorophyll, while also boosting the production of red blood cells and creating more oxygen at the cellular level. All good things.

I appreciate all of your thoughtful comments...Scott has some really great questions. I hope all of you feel welcome to post questions. I don't want anyone to be afraid to do that. There is really no question that I won't answer because that is just the way I am now. Cancer stripped me of my modestly and I am totally okay with that. Each time I respond to questions, it helps me process information in my head even further. They say the best way to learn something is to teach it.

As always, I feel privileged to be alive and healing....to have access to such great information regarding health, medicine and nutrition...and my doctors! Sometime, I am going to write a full post about my oncologist and how he has saved my life a multitude of times. He rocks! In the meantime, I hope that I am putting all this information in an easy-to-read format and making it more accessible to YOU...so that learning is easy and fun.

God bless each of you.
Lolo

4 comments:

S. Lute said...

Well that mixture of veggies doesn't sound too bad. Except for the beets... Trust me- I'll steer clear of the power of the BEET! Beets are scary.

I just recently discovered an organic-type grocery store up north of the river, so I'll try the chloroxygen as well. I've tasted grass, and it's not so bad.

You should make a recipe area on here if possible to post the various recipes that you use. Juicer, food, and other.

Thanks for the great info!!
Scott

Laura (aka Lolo) said...

That's a great suggestion, Scott. I will do that! I will put some easy recipes on there from one of my books. There are also juicing bulletin boards on the web. I will try to find links to those, too. Let me know about the store up North because my mom and dad live up there and would like to start going to an organic store.

S. Lute said...

It's in that swanky new commercial development/neighborhood just off of 169 after you come north over the Broadway Bridge (close to the M&I Bank you can see from the highway). You can get off on NW Briarcliff Parkway to get there.

It's smaller than the one I've been to down south, but they have a pretty good selection of products.

Here's the name and address

Green Acres Market
4175 N Mulberry Dr
Kansas City, MO 64116
(816) 746-0010

Looking forward to the recipes- thanks in advance!

Scott

Laura (aka Lolo) said...

Very cool! Thanks, Scott. I will put recipes on the site tonight or tomorrow.