Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Growing flowers, not cancer.

So I decided to take on the project this year of growing flowers. I figured this would help my mind-body connection to adapt to growing something other than cancer. I have a small area of land in front of our house that is shaded by the trees and difficult to plant things in. I have tried each year to put something in there. My preference would be tulips, but those require full sun and my front yard is mostly shaded. Last year, I planted four hostas and the lady at the store told me that if I couldn't grow hostas...then I couldn't grow anything. We both laughed at the time, but I knew those darn hostas weren't going to grow. They didn't.

This year, I went for impatiens. I went through a couple of rounds of them, but I now have pink and purble impatiens in the little garden. We will see how they grow. I know I have not been good at growing anything green, but I am never afraid to try to new things and work on being disciplined. AND, I need to grow something other than cancer. So, I water my plants every day...when it is not already raining and I try to help them grow. They seem to be doing pretty well. I have much hope that they will thrive, just as I have much hope that my body can halt the growth of new tumors and/or destroy the tumors that have been there. There is much hope!

Have a wonderful night!
Lolo

2 comments:

Jason Lewton said...

Hey, Laura... I tried growing hostas once, too, and it didn't work AT ALL!!! I have some day lily seeds, though, that I can send home with Mike from MBS if you want them. I hybridized them myself (so God only knows what they will look like!), and they won't bloom until next spring, but they are super easy to take care of. Just let me know, and I will be sure to pack them up! God bless you!

The Girardeaus said...

Hi Laura,
I think it's wonderful that you are gardening. I think maybe you just over-watered everything else- ha :)! But your impatiens will love it. That's why I can never grow them, they need too much babying! Besides, tulips would have been gone already- your impatiens will give you a summer filled with color. I decided to try some in pots outside my front door which we never use, so it's a challenge to remember to take care of them. Luckily we've had enough rain. Nature sometimes just takes care of us. I hope she's taking good care of you and yours tonight.

Love,
Alicia