Friday, May 30, 2008

Chemotherapy and Cancer Basics, part 2


So, where I left off on the last post (below) was where I was getting ready to explain why chemotherapy does what it does. First, let me reiterate that "chemotherapy" is a term used for many drugs that are used to fight a multitude of cancers. Cancer is a very complicated subject matter with each cancer have various types within the type. It can be overwhelming for the patient, that is why it is important to have doctors who are up-to-date on the meds.

I spoke in my last post about Herceptin. Herceptin is a targeted therapy that goes after a specific type of cell. Another name for this drugs and others of this type are called monoclonal antibodies. Avastin is another monoclonal antibody that goes after her2neu cells. These drugs are like heat-seeking missiles. They look for a cell with her2neu on it and try to destroy it with various chemical methods. Tykerb is another drug that goes after her1 and her2.

The distinctions between the above-mentioned drugs and chemo are many, but the summary is that monoclonal antibodies target a specific type of cell and chemotherapy goes after fast-growing cells. As each chemo is different and I am not a chemist, I can not really do a good job of explaining the method in which they go after these fast-growing cells. I could try, but I wouldn't get it all right. But, I will tell you that chemo is able to go after cancer because those cells are fast-growing. Other fast-growing cells are those related to hair growth and the mouth and digestive tract through the stomach. This is why I am losing my hair and why my mouth tastes raw....like a battery. ICK!

There are many things the docs can do to help with these side effects, but some of the side effects are just things we have to endure. Since the chemo ignites inflammation in my body for the battle against cancer cells, I often find that I am fatigued on and off throughout the day. My hair is shedding slowly, but it all is coming off. I assume I will shave it off this week, but I am holding out as long as Morgan will let me. She really wants to shave it. As far as nausea goes with the stomach, there are so many amazing meds out there now to address this issue that chemo is not what it used to be. I can tell you I have only thrown up once after a chemo session...in all my rounds of chemo. Pretty amazing. Most of the time, I don't even feel nauseous. If you know someone who is going through chemo and has lots of issues in this regard, then we should talk because there are meds that can help to make the process easier.

I find, more than anything else, that the side effect that hits me hard is the frustration of an interrupted life...whether it be less energy to get on my bike, go to the gym or play with the kids These are the personal things that help me feel normal, alive. I am working on my patience with not having as much energy. I know the side effects are temporary, but my life is like a marathon. I am constantly conditioning for my next move against cancer. These are good lessons. Patience is a good lesson, too. I also know new drugs are in clinical trial all of the time. Herceptin has changed my story and the story of many other women. There is no telling what they will come up with next, but I have my eye on many relevant clinical trials that are extremely hopeful. So, as always, I am filled with hope.

Thanks for reading and for the continued encouragement. Let me know if you have questions!

Blessings,
Lolo

4 comments:

Rose said...

Praise God for herceptin!!

Laura (aka Lolo) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura (aka Lolo) said...

So true, Rose. It has made life possible for us her2 survivors!

CaraSue said...

Laura,

You are so strong and I am impressed when I am reading your blogs. You are in my thoughts and prayers often and I know that you will beat everything that is coming your way! I am so impressed with your strength!!