Monday, May 12, 2008

Making your liver happy!

I had chemo, round 2, on Friday. The drugs I am on are pretty strong, but they are working pretty well. Already, my liver enzyme counts that were high a week before are coming down. This means my liver is less "stressed" out, which is very good. Having a stressed out liver is not a good thing.

I do want to correct a statement I made last week, that my cancer hasn't affected me...that it is just the medicine. In thinking about this statement, I do want to say that fatigue is always a precursor to a cancer flare up. I was feeling fatigued before we got this update on my diagnosis. I think this is because the liver is so important in processing food and regulating energy in our bodies.

Not sure if any of you follow Dr. Oz, one of the authors of the YOU series. YOU, the owner's manual, YOU on a diet, YOU, the smart patient, etc. These are amazing books, extremely plainspoken even though they are written by two brainy doctors. If you haven't invested in one of these books, you might peruse them at the book store. Regardless, of the main subject matter, they are always about maintaining good health. Even YOU on a Diet is about fighting heart disease.

He has also been branded by Oprah and is often on her show. I love him because he talks about everything, no subject matter or question is off limits. If you invest a little time with him, you will find it is time well-spent. You will learn more about your body and will feel better for it.

Last week he was on a talk show, my chemo brain is already setting in so I can't remember if it was good morning america or the today show. He and his author partner, Roizin, talked about the liver and its importance. I am still working on finding the link to that video because they had foods that are good for the liver and explained the organ's role in the body. I thought it was timely for the blog because I have talked about my liver.

My liver is recovering and will continue to be on the mend, I am thankful that the liver is so resilient. There is a lot that can be learned about the liver. Instead of me writing about it, I thought I would add a link to the Oprah site where Dr. Oz talks about the liver. He explains how there is stem cell functionality in the liver so it can repair itself, if given the right tools. These tools for many of us are food. For me, my tools include meds that target the liver. The liver can also regenerate if a section is taken out, very cool!

Some foods that are good for the liver are veggies, eggs, milk and COFFEE! A shocker, but coffee can help the liver fight off cancer. Interesting. Some of the things that are bad for the liver include alcohol. Unfortunately, no matter which kind of alcohol, it is all bad for the liver. It taxes it and makes processing things a little more difficult.

I thought this was a good link (to the right) because there are more links attached. One is a link about making your liver happy. Consider trying some of the things because your liver is the most important organ in the body, even a heart surgeon like Dr. Oz says so. :)

Blessings,
Lolo

No comments: