Wednesday, October 15, 2008

New medicines on the horizon...

So, Michael and I found out yesterday that regardless of all the hoops we have been jumping through to get on this clinical trial, the drug company decided to say "no" to us. At this point, we are just glad to move forward and have a definitive answer from them.

I guess the main thing to tell you all is that although this drug may have been a good drug, it is not my only option. There are many options for me. Sometimes people get really confused about my situation because I am stage IV and/or chronic, they always perceive the worst case scenario if something falls through.

The truth with this drug is that it may be really good, but it is not good timing for me. It seemed as if I would meet one criteria, then the drug company would have some other criteria I missed. At some point, you just have to view it that the timing is off and move forward with other drugs that are manageable and doable.

So, our plan is to go to our trusty team at KU tomorrow and talk to them about next steps. Fortunately, breast cancer drugs are continually evolving so I am not sure what to expect from the meeting tomorrow. I know it will be good and I know that I will be happy to be on a new drug, but I don't really care what side effects there are. (After all I have been through recently, the meds KU puts me on may be a cake walk.:)

Let's say it makes me not continue to grow my hair back in...so what? I have lost my hair three times now and I have learned it doesn't really matter. It just isn't as important to me as it is living a pure and good life...plus, my friend, Tina, is opening her wig boutique and she will always keep me in fun wigs, if need be.

Though the last month or so has not been easy with the stint surgeries and the liver detox, it is ironic that my liver will probably be better positioned than ever to take on whatever drugs come my way.

I know I am a cheerleader and I will always see the silver lining in my story, but that is just who I am and how God made me. There is no way for me to really know all the reason why Michael and I were going to Jeff City and meeting new people. Hopefully, I was able to spread a little hope there, just like I try to spread here.

Regardless, I have still been a little under the weather from this detox. I am off the actual medicine, but am tapering off of some other drugs, which has made my past couple of days crazy. Then, I got a fever today so Jack and I have spent some much-needed rest time at my mom and dad's. However, I just wanted to update you all regarding our status.

Morgan turns 8 on Friday so we have a slumber party planned. Yikes! So much fun to be had, but for now I must rest up! More on breast cancer awareness events to follow in another post...

Blessings to each of you!
Lolo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're awesome.