Sunday, October 19, 2008

Weekend update.

This weekend has been kind of crazy, but I wanted to take a second to update the blog. First of all, Morgan had an amazing 8th birthday/slumber party Friday night. She also got a bike from us and she learned how to ride it already. She is amazing! Jack had a blast hanging with Morgan's friends!

Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to be at the party or be there when she learned to ride her bike. My fever spiked pretty high in Thursday so my oncologist thought I might have an infection with my liver stent. And he was right. We came into the hospital Thursday night and once they get you in here, it is hard to get out. It took them a day or two to determine that I have an infection due to the stent not doing what it should be doing. They did a chest x-ray and an abdominal ultrasound so they were able to confirm that it is a blocked duct and they can fix the blockage. The cancer is still stable,as it was before.

My family, Michael's family, and some very trusty neighbors and friends pitched in to help with the kids. It was very important to me that Morgan have her party and that my hospital stay cause the least amount of chaos for the kids and Michael. Though Mo and Jack have had some"sad" moments...we just talk about them and help them understand that I am okay. If the stent is having a problem, then that us why I feel bad. So if I get it fixed...or have the doctors go in like before and clean out the blocked area, then that is good.

Don't get me wrong, I am frustrated that I am in the hospital and that I will be here a little longer...probably until Tuesday. But now I have the in-hospital oncology team who will evaluate me after my procedure tomorrow afternoon to make sure the stent is working well. I haven't felt good since before the first stent, but we will make sure it works and we get this issue resolved. So when I go home, I know my life can get back to normal. I have been craving normal for so long. But with chemo all summer and trying to get in the trial, we have had moments of normal interspersed with a lot of chaos. I plan on changing that for the better immediately.

I think this hospital stay has reminded me that although I want to help so many others with a positive message of hope regarding breast health, Michael, Morgan, Jack and me come first. Although I want you all to speak up for yourselves when it comes to yourselves, I guess I still have some lessons to learn too.

So I am going to spend some time while I am in the hospital establishing goals and boundaries for my family and me first...then other things after that. I will update the blog later in the week with my new medicines and new ideas. However, I don't like to be fussed over so I don't want people to send flowers or make a big deal about this procedure I am having. It is a minor hiccup in a situation where I have gone through much worse things. I am on the mend and I plan on working on building a sustainable daily life for the future.

Sorry about any typos. This post is from my iPhone and it spellchecks things in a strange way. I guess if you want to do anything for me, just send positive thoughts my way or write a nice comment. Anything more than that would not be something I wanted.

God bless,
Lolo

5 comments:

S. Lute said...

Feel better soon, Laura. We had fun seeing Morgan and Jack Saturday night!

Scott

Anonymous said...

You are a blessing to us all, little sister. Thank you for all that you do. :)

Anonymous said...

Laura,
Get to feeling better very soon my friend!
Don't worry about the guest speaking event....we'll reschedule it AFTER you take care of yourself and your family. :)
Luv ya!
Pepper :)

Anonymous said...

Laura,
You never seem to amaze me. I don't know if I have ever met someone as grateful or as unselfish as you. I "tune" into you whenever possible, not just to educate myself with cancer and treatment, but to be inspired by your strength and courage. I don't have any doubt in my mind that you're an AWESOME mother, wife, sister, daughter. You inspire me and I am lucky to know you.

Anonymous said...

Hi LP
It was great to see you driving by this am! No doubt God is with you!
I'm sending up prayers of strength and normalcy for the Plunketts!!!!
w/l JLL