Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Always kiss me goodnight!


Okay, so here is the deal.  I am sitting here watching my cancer mentor, Randy Pausch, lay out some amazing rules for living a charmed life on Primetime ABC.  And I wonder, what should I say to all of you?  What "nugget of wisdom" could I share with you...that would help you understand that life is amazing.  Each moment should be purposeful, cherished.

So here it is.  Cancer is not fair.  No health issue is.  Life is not easy.  The lessons are hard, but they are worth it.  Most days are good, but bad things happen.  People live through them, sometimes thrive through them.  Try to view each day as a gift.   Love and acceptance doesn't happen very often...so when it does, EMBRACE IT!  Don't push it away.  Believe that "the heart of life is good", as John Mayer says.  I don't know if I have quoted that song before on this blog, but I believe in the principle.  Fully.  I have seen much good in my journey back to complete restored health.  I am amazed by the love of others.

I have lived through the removal and reconstruction of breast tissue, the resection of part of my liver and a removal of one lobe of my right lung and some additional lung tissue.  I have had five tumors removed.  I am still here, not only surviving, but thriving.  I am considered stable by the medical community, a B grade...but this former A student will accept it because I am not flunking.  I am extremely fortunate, that my disease has always been limited to small tumors that might be considered more of a nuisance if they weren't on major organs.  

I have always had choices and made the tough choices when it mattered.  But, don't get me wrong...I am fortunate to have choices...to have slowed my growth with modern medicines.  I plan on being here for a long time.  I am privileged to speak confidently about this option.  My situation could be so much worse.  It would be way worse if it had not been for the women who came before me.   For Susan G. Komen, it was far worse and she chose to make a difference, she asked her sister, Nancy Brinker, to make a difference for her because her time was limited.

Because of Susan Komen and her sis, attention has been brought to breast cancer and I am fortunate.  These women, and others that are unnamed, have altered my prognosis and changed my life.  I have the privilege of being on modern medicines to help me.  I have the understanding of knowing that MY LIFE is prolonged because others have come before and made a difference for ME.   I am honored.  Randy Pausch is paving the way for pancreatic cancer, like the Komens have done for me.  I hope you have time to consider his life lessons.

Because of this work that others have done to help me, I feel compelled to make a difference with my knowledge.  I have no choice.  It is who I am.  I am working on a website for my non-profit campaign (Pass It On!) so I can explain more.  I also added a link to my bike ride...another breast cancer campaign that I now have the compassion and GUTS to  be a part of.  (Check it out...to the right.)

I am not sure if I am a great athlete, all I know is that I try hard and that I am willing.  Willingness and dedication are two parts of the combination that make a huge difference in this world.  Please try to make a difference in your world, it will make you happy.  Also, know that I am as healthy as ever.  I will have full body scans at the end of April and for the first time I am excited to have them...because I am going to be able to share that experience with all of YOU.  I want you to understand that knowing your health situation is way better than not knowing.  Avoidance only prolongs treatment of any issue...and most likely, you will have no issues.

I enclosed a picture of Jack making a funny pose with his fingers, at the age of three.  Please know that I have a picture of his dad, Michael, at age three doing the same interesting pose. I did not force Jack to do this, he just did what came natural and I took a picture.  I realized later why the picture was so familiar to me...because when Michael's grandma passed away, we all got to take an item of choice from the house.  Once the blood relatives got through choosing, I got to choose.  I chose a picture frame that included a picture of Michael, making this pose. 

So amazing that his son would choose to make the same pose awkward pose just 35 years later.  Life is no accident.  I am sure of it.  I promised not to preach, but I ensure you that God doesn't make accidents.  I am no accident.  Neither are you.  My cancer is something I will push through and survive and thrive.  It is no accident and I will be better for it.  I have the absolute privilege of surviving through it.  I hope you can understand that and I encourage you to make each day a blessing! 

I bought some fun things for the house this week.  I have avoided this because I hate spending money as we are always bracing ourselves for the next medical procedure we might have to factor into our financial equation.  However, as an act of trust in our future and in my health, I purchased some decorations from Target that say positive things, affirmations and warm sentiments because we are a warm and fun house!   One of them says "Always kiss me goodnight."  it is framed in black and written on cream parchment paper.  It is lovely, a wonderful sentiment...something I am going to try to implement with all my Plunketts.  Just think about it...living with others is not an easy task, but you can't be mad at someone once you kiss them.  Affection replaces anger...so consider it!

On the horizon:  more posts on nutrition and exercise!  Spring is here...you gotta get out of the house and exercise.  Kids are no excuse.  I have two!  Your heart matters, it needs some work.   I will continue to encourage you to find your own motivators for exercise and staying healthy.

Blessings, friends!
Lolo


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent points. Thank you.