Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Angiogenesis, huh?


So, here is a picture of Jack at one of my treatments.  Kids can totally handle their parents health issues.  It all needs to be dealt with in a tasteful and balanced fashion, but they want to be included and know we are okay.  Jack has made girlfriends of all the nurses and has developed a reputation around the treatment center.  We have our own private room there and go in once a week on Fridays.  Very doable!

Before I get into "angiogenesis" let me reiterate that I am not a genetic scientist.  I did kick some serious butt in Chemistry in high school and college, but that is only a piece of the scientific puzzle.  I am just a person who got cancer and likes to study.  What I am about to tell you is yet another piece of cellular division and growth that is part of YOUR biology...in all cells in your body (meaning, not just breast cells:).  But form your own opinions...this blog is only to help you start that process of educating yourself on cancer as it relates to your body.  Prevention is the purpose.

Angiogenesis is a powerful word.  Per Dr. Susan Love in "Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book" explains that "angio" means "vessels" and "genesis means "growth". So what does that mean?  Well, blood vessel growth through the process of angiogenesis is one mechanism for cancer cells to grow.  Dr. Love explains that a cancer cell can not grow beyond 2 millimeters without its own blood supply through blood vessels.  Under a microscope, cancer cells will have far more blood vessels than that of a normal cell.  This is how tumors grow to become invasive.

I spent a lot of time talking to my oncology pharmacist, Ken, last week about angiogenesis and what it means.  I really try to understand my cells and the meds that are going to attack them!  He explained what Dr. Love also clarified...that cancerous cells secrete a protein called vascular endothelial cell growth factor or veg-f.   This protein can then sit in a hormone receptor or the her-2-neu receptor and tell them to make more.

It is hard to tell whether veg-f is an indicator that cancer will grow and develop outside of its primary source.  However, for me, this was the case.  I fully believe that my body divides and grows cells quickly and because of this, it moved cancer throughout my body quickly. 
My tumors were too small to normally have growth in a lymph node, the liver and the lungs....without some outstanding factors coming into play.  I believe her-2-neu and an active cell replication process were part of these factors.  This opinion is fully coming from me, not my doctors or my pharamacist.

But, remember, I have done a lot of research.  I have a quick metabolism and a solid heart.   I had no breast cancer risks or family history.  I have low blood pressure and minimal scarring, beyond those provided by cancer.  I am extremely athletic, with doing intense exercise at least four times a week.  I have never broken a bone, and am killer-good when it comes to recovering from surgery. So, my point is that I am HEALTHY, beyond the cancer that want to grow inside of me.  I am working to change that process over time and believe I can do it!

Because of these factors, I believe I can speak with integrity when it comes to my cell replication process and the integrity of my body otherwise.  Please take this research and opinion into mind and develop your own healthy opinions.  That is all I want for YOU. :)

All this being said, one of the new medicines I am on is Avastin.  It is another monoclonal antibody that works to suppress the blood vessel supply on cancer cells.  Avastin, along with some of the other meds I have been on, is used in other cancers as well.  Lung cancer is one of them.  Knowledge in relation to one cancer can directly translate to another.

I hope this makes sense and I appreciate that all of you are reading...though most of you are not making comments.  That is okay because I know you are there!

Blessings,
Lolo

2 comments:

Rose said...

I think you have earned an honorary biology degree. Girls is there ANYTHING that you don't know???

kelly shomin said...

Laura,
Pepper Gerstner shared your blog with me. Your attitude and determination are inspiring. I am amazed with how you have educated yourself (and others). Keep it up! I will keep reading!
Kelly Shomin