Thursday, April 3, 2008

Pass It On!


Pass It On! is my breast cancer foundation that I started my year of diagnosis, 2005.  The immediate focus of the foundation was to provide awareness documentation to friends and family regarding doing breast self-exams.  (In case you didn't know...I found my own cancer. Kinda crazy, but it can happen.)

It has been three years since diagnosis, and three years since the campaign started.  What I have noticed recently is that the campaign either needs to evolve into something more than it is, or that it needs to roll into another organization.  Let me be clear in stating that I only want to dedicate my business experience, writing talent and time away from my family to a program that would meet your needs!  My experience is partially valid to me because I might be able to help others.

I have been meeting with various breast cancer advocates throughout Kansas City to gather marketing information pertaining to breast cancer advocacy and awareness .  I want to go where the needs are and fill that void.  I am still working on those meetings, but what I am finding out is that regardless of what the campaign has done, women are still mildly intimidated by doing self-exams.  This helps me understand where the campaign needs to go...I have to help women be okay "knowing" their body.

Doing self-exams not only helped me know my breasts so when something was actually wrong, I could move quickly....but, it was a major step for me to start advocating for myself.  I was a shy girl, very modest.  I would not change clothes around other girls in the gym and I wouldn't even let my big sis stay in my changing room when I tried on wedding dresses.  I love my big sis, we grew up in a small house and spent most of our formative years in the same bedroom.  (Above is a picture of my big sis, Heather, and me on Halloween of 2007.) But, something happens to us when we hit puberty and become women.  We start to become uncomfortable with our bodies.

I am sure, if you are a girl or woman, you are probably like I was.  We are and were raised to be good girls, to tow the line and follow the rules.  So, I did.  I didn't even talk about my body, let alone acknowledge it before diagnosis.  I never uttered the word "breast" either.  Yet, because my primary care physician taught me how to do self-exams, I did them!

So what is this babble leading to...well, I am designing some speaking events that would allow for regular people and health professionals to come together and understand the importance of self-exams.   The purpose will be to demystify this process of knowing ourselves and help us understand health issues.  The old adage that "knowledge is power" actually means something...I want it to have meaning to all of you.  Knowing what is going on in your body, can only help you deal with it.  Avoidance does not mean the issues are not there, it just means that you may be hindering treatment.  I will keep you posted on what happens with these speaking events.  

I am also wanting to expand the actual mailing of self-exam cards.  This has been the mainline program for "Pass It On!" since its inception.  If you are not currently receiving this information, please feel free to email me at lplunkett@kc.rr.com.  Just tell me that you read the blog and are interested in getting a packet in the Fall.  You can also send me addresses of friends and family.  The packet is light and fun, like the blog.  It is not meant to scare and I work really hard to only mail to a "willing" audience.  I don't believe you will get cancer because I got cancer.  In fact, I am an anomoly..more on that later.  Be sure to tell people you have added them to the list so they won't throw the "Pass It On!" envelope away. :)  It is my pleasure to do this for you so PLEASE add yourself to the list.  It could change your life for the better!

Last week, I met with my friend and President of the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation (GKCCF), Laura McKnight.  I am working with them to help me organize the administrative piece of the foundation (e.g. become a non-profit, develop a budget and strategic plans, etc).  They are a great organization that does a lot of good for our community.

Over the next three months, I will continue to have data-gathering meetings, work with GKCCF to gain non-profit status, work on a web site and design speaking events.   At some point, I will have to do fund-raising as well, but I will deal with that after all this admin stuff is set up.  I also want to do informal surveys so if you have been a part of the mailing and want to provide any input...let me know.  I will GLADLY make you part of this process.  Additionally, if you have a target area (e.g. business, church, sorority, school) that you might want us to come and speak, please feel free to let me know as well.  

This is all very exciting.  As I said, it is my pleasure (and calling) to transform my health issue into a positive awareness for each of you. 

Be well!
Lolo

No comments: