Monday, June 2, 2008

If I can do it, so can you!:)

(Me in my cycling gear. I didn't smile on this one, was trying to look serious.:)
So, I am training for the Komen three day walk in Chicago. This is a 60 mile walk, three days at 20 miles a piece. My sister and I started seriously training this week although we still have to take it relatively easy because of my endurance being shot. We were able to walk about 6 miles yesterday which was very exciting. We are behind in our training due to my chemo, but we are slowly but surely working on catching up. The walk is at the beginning of August in Chicago. Don't worry, I will be sending donation letters your way or you can click on the link to the right for donations.

I am also riding in the MS150 in September. This is a 150+ bike ride over two days to raise awareness for multiple sclerosis. I have not put the link up to that site because I want to get donations for the walk first. However, I love riding the bike. I feel at home on the bike. I rode the slowest 6.5 miles I have ever ridden on the bike today and I am counting it a victory. Two weeks ago, I wasn't able to do any working out on this chemo. My body is not only adapting to the chemo, but I think it is adapting to less tumor burden because the chemo is working.

Our ETA on finishing this chemo is in a couple of weeks. However, there are many admin things to do to make sure that the cancer is going away and that we can move forward with the clinical trial we want to get on. That being said, I never know if I will have to do chemo longer than anticipated. I pray that my meds are working, I feel them working on my body...yet I must accept that I am still in fighting cancer mode and I may need to do more chemo. If so, that may get in the way of my other training for the bike ride I wanted to do in New York for the young survival coalition. We will see.

For now, I am just thankful for each day and I try not to worry about tomorrow. I know we are winning my battle against cancer and before long, all my medicines will keep the cancer stable for good.

Blessings,
Lolo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,
I'm Wende(Heller)Hinrichs, I grew up next to Mike. I've been checking out your blog and just had to tell you how fabulous and inspirational you are. You have more people on your side than you know. All of the Heller's, Wilson's, and Cheatham's are keeping you, Mike, and your kiddos in our thoughts and prayers.
Wende :)

Laura (aka Lolo) said...

Thanks, Wende. That is SO gracious of you. I know who you without an introduction! Thanks for your support. It means a lot to Michael, the kids and ME!