Sunday, August 10, 2008

My team finished the 3 day walk!

My sister and our team finished the three day walk today in Chicago. Heather called to tell me how cool it was to finish. They were all such a team. All the women walked into Soldier Field together, after the last woman finished. Such a sisterhood. Very cool!

Heather and I talked about how I would like to do it in the future, but it was the right decision not to go this year. My chemotherapy wiped me out this morning. I slept late, very late. I was able to get up and take the kids out for some fun and then head to evening church. I just have to take it easy on chemotherapy weekends, but believe me...I am waiting, patiently for this chemo to be over so that I can get back to being athletic. I will always be on medicines, though, and I am okay with that.

For now, I will have to live through my big sis and all of you who were able to do the Komen-KC Race for the CURE today. Over 22,000 women were in that walk. Such a wonderful turnout. My plan is to be in the 3 day sometime over the next couple of years and to do the KC Race for the CURE from here on out. I also have other plans for athletic events in the upcoming year. Most of them are for my disease of breast cancer, but others are for other people's diseases because those matter too. We all matter.

So many women have come before me to pave the way so that my disease could be tolerable, treatable. Because of this, I try never to complain, but always to accept the road I am on. I know it will get easier in the future.

I am going to go back and watch the Olympics with Michael and the family!

Blessings,
Lolo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all - I LOVE THAT PEACE BLING HAT! You're right - It is so you! FUN! Your friend has great style.
Friendships are like beautiful gems-and Girlfriends are so special! Laura I'm glad we're friends -thanks for being a great one!

Secondly - Heather and her team rock!!! I can't believe they have walked 60 miles in 3 days That is crazy! CONGRATS/THANKS TO THEM FOR ALL THEY HAVE DONE FOR THE CURE!

I wonder.......

Questions for Heathers team?????

How many pairs of shoes did the girls wear out during the entire time of training and the event?

What brand of tennis shoes do they like best?

How many blisters are on their feet?

Talk soon,
JLL

Heather J said...

Hi JLL

Thanks for the congrats!

We all had two pair of shoes for the walk (one in the event that the other got wet on the walk). The shoes we used for training and the walk are all still in pretty good condition. We all wore different shoes - really depends on what you like.

No blisters for this team!!!!! I think the key was that we trained in our shoes, wore proper socks, and didn't get pedicures for several months. Our feet are not pretty but they are blister free!

I would recommend to anyone that they do this event. It is both rewarding and touching. For someon like Laura - it is an example of how she is not alone in this fight and that there are so many people rooting each and every cancer patient on. Everyone - down to the last person I met - was so supportive of each of the walkers. It was a very touching experience!

Heather