Saturday, August 16, 2008

Why Pink?

(Picture of me, writing on the blog.)
Today, my survivor friend Tina and I took our families to Unity Temple to get our photos taken with an organization called Why Pink? Initially, I saw this organization on facebook and I must admit I loved the name. For a long time, I have wondered the same thing...Why Pink? Why pink for breast cancer instead of some other color? I do love that there is one color that is linked to my disease because it helps people know about it and remember it. But, I have to laugh because pink is one of my worst colors, especially when on chemotherapy. When on these heavy drugs, most people look ashen and tired. They either lose weight or gain weight. Either way, they don't really look full in color to absorb the radience of a pink item of clothing or a pink hat.

I was diagnosed at the beginning of 2005 and it has taken me this long to start to embrace my inner and outer pink! I have decided that I will take on the color as a badge of courage and I will claim it. It is not as if I can hide from being a breast cancer survivor anymore. For a long time after my first diagnosis, I didn't want to wear any pink. I wanted to blend into the background again, be a normal person. When I bought my road bike, I had the option between a white bike and a pink bike. I chose the white bike because I liked her better. Her model name is the Contessa so I do call my bike "her". The pink bike was a great bike, but I didn't even consider it. I didn't always want to be associated with pink because of my disease.

Granted the pink bike cost a bit more than the road bike I purchased so that helped my decision, too. But, I felt most at home with the modest, light weight white and silver bike that I have come to know and love. Ironically, I would always avoid the pink cycling gear too. Baby blue was my color. I would buy blue any day, but I didn't want my cycling team to think I was all about the Pink. I don't always want people to think about my disease every time they see me. Some people have a hard time accepting me living with cancer, and I understand. It is not that they want me to die, it is just that it is hard to accept that your friend has a disease.

However, things have changed over the past year. Not only has my cancer interrupted my life with chemotherapy, but I am sharing this experience with all of YOU!:) I can't hide anymore. The truth is that I always thought pink was for the girly-girls. You know, the really pretty ones who always know how to wear the right outfit and the right make up and the right everything. Pink was not for a tomboy like me, even though I do love fashion and a little bit of glitz.

Yet, I think if you have to embrace the bad about this disease, then you should get to embrace the good of breast cancer. So, I have decided pink is one of the good things. I have decided to embrace the color even though I am pale. I am finding ways to group it with other colors to make it easier for me to wear. I have also decided that I will help others embrace their inner pink by feeling beautiful on the inside regardless of how they feel about the outside.

That is why I am so impressed with the Why Pink campaign. I put a link to their web site to the right. Trevor and Amy Goodwin are photographers who want to lend their talent and expertise to helping women celebrate their breast cancer experience. They are not survivors, themselves, but they just feel connected to this cause and want to make a difference. Pretty selfless of them and touching for a survivor like me. The photo experience can be for survivors, family members, friends, etc. Anyone who wants to celebrate breast cancer can do so through these lovely photos. The main photos you purchase will be black and white, with pink being the only color that shows up in the photo. Very clever and beautiful.

They asked me if I wanted to come do a photo shoot and I felt honored. At times, I can still crawl back into that shy little sister mode, the awkward tomboy. I can wonder why me? Or in my head I begin to wonder if I am worthy of the opportunity, but I am trying to diminish that shy girl voice in my head because it gets in the way of the good I can do. The photo shoot is about finding strength and power through your survivorship experience. So, I brought along my friend Tina who is also a young survivor. She empowers me, we help each other. She is into fashion like me and she and I laugh a lot together. I thought this would make for some great photos.

I must admit, I felt silly at times having my picture taken. That is just because I feel vulnerable and flawed as a person going through treatment. But, I put my favorite wig on and got my favorite fashion items...some were pink,some black, some earth tones. Tina brought items from her closet as well. We are both red-heads who have both been empowered by our breast cancer experience. We did take a few pictures without the wigs on, which was fun. I did have a do-rag on and Tina has a pixie cut. Very cute.

Tina is opening a wig shop to help women feel beautiful while going through this experience. Tina actually loves wigs so much now that she cuts her own hair short and wears wigs all of the time. She is beautiful. I have Pass It On to work with advocacy, but I am also interested in designing some products to help people accept breast cancer...to embrace their inner beauty. I don't want anyone to be ashamed because they have breast cancer, I just want to help them work through the emotions so they can fight, fight, fight!

I thought Trevor and Amy did such a great job today. They made us feel comfortable, they let us be ourselves. I even got to wear my cycling gloves in a couple of pictures. These are my news ones I bought for the photo shoot and they are pink! It looks like I am growing up. These will be the same gloves I wear to my scans, which will be this Monday. Yikes! The gloves help me feel tough, vibrant and healthy. I am glad I have pink ones now. I got some good photos of Michael and the kids as well.

Right now, Trevor and Amy are processing the photos and they will eventually have our pictures on their web site under the survivor stories. I am also hoping to use some of their pictures for the Pass It On campaign. Michael and the kids were in a couple of them with me with their Pass It On shirts on.

I have come a long way...from being a newly diagnosed girl who couldn't stand pink to embracing the new me, which includes this radiant color of pink. I am not sure why pink was chosen or who chose it, but I am glad they did. You should check out Trevor and Amy's website at www.whypink.org. There will be more pictures over time as they are currently working on the campaign. I am sure their photos will be thought-provoking and the women who invest in this process will feel beautiful! Tina and I did.:)

Blessings,
Lolo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures look great, you have such a beautiful smile and a great family. It was a pleasure to work with you!

Rose said...

I can't wait to see the pictures!
Rose

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you were able to meet up with Trevor and Amy. As they say..."People come into our lives for reasons".

Anonymous said...

You are one HOT pink momma! But the cutest part of this picture is the little pink behind walking out of the room...lol. Can't wait to see the WhyPink photos! WOOHOO!