Monday, August 11, 2008

TMI

So, three letter acronyms are kind of "The Thing" right now. Because of text messaging and instant messaging, these little acronyms have come about. Of course, I love text messaging and it is because I am not a phone talker. I don't like chatting on the phone a lot because it takes away from the life I am living right here. Plus, since I am a blogger now, I tend to share my random thoughts with all of you and I try to stay off the phone.

Text messaging fits in handy, especially with my friends. I understand what TMI means...only because someone cooler than me told me. For those of you who don't know, it means "Too Much Information". I am not cool, but I do know this three letter acronym. It is the subject of the blog tonight because I wanted you all to know that although i am a fully "aware" member of my medical team, I decided a long time ago to not get bogged down in the detail. What I mean, is that I choose to be the have an executive's mindset when it comes to my health.

I used to work for many executives in the business world and I know what this means. When I worked at an accounting firm, we would keep all our bullet points on any presentations to a maximum of three points. (OR at least this is how I remember it.) We would try to keep the positive points high, with the suggestions very limited and focused. The executive's had busy schedules. They were leading their teams and we were giving them the detailed information to make them better. We gave the detail to those who worked for the executives and we gave the executives the high-level overview.

Now, I don't want to equate myself to an executive in terms of accomplishments. That is not what this post is about. As far as I am concerned, titles don't matter when it comes to me. I learned a long time ago that "Stages" and "Titles" are just labels. I give people time to show themselves. I figure out through their actions that I can or can not trust them.

What I did learn from my business experience was that executives tend to be pretty wise people. Most execiutives have paid their dues and they spend a lot of hours keeping their fingers on the pulse of the business. But, they make it look easy. They make it look easier than what we realize. I also learned that the executive's mindset of keeping their hands in the business, but letting others give them high-level reports was probably a good way to do things.

I have applied this mindset to my medical team because I know I can trust them. I believe in them and they believe in me. I learned a long time ago that I can trust my oncologist. He is best and the brightest, as far as I am concerned. He has saved my life multiple times over. Because he passed all of my various tests, I do trust him. I trust his decisions and I trust his information that he gives me when it comes to the scans.

Please don't get me wrong, I do my own research. However, he always accepts any ideas I give him and he follows through. You all should know that I am a neurotic patient. I constantly scan my blood counts and ask questions. I am always looking into research. Though I am heave on the praise, I fully believe I could be annoying with another physician. But, my doctor always accepts my questions and he answers them.

One of the best things I have learned as an adult is that it is far better for someone to say they don't know the answer and do research on the subject, than to feign knowledge about a subject matter when they are not 100% sure. My doctor has made numerous phone calls on my behalf, spent countless hours with colleagues at other facilities or at KU Med Center on my behalf and truly cares about me.

Because of his proven integrity, I trust him to carry the weight of the details when it comes to my health. What I mean is that I let him have the detail while I try to have an executive's mindset. Anything more than three points with me can cloud my brain and make me lose information. Though I am ferocious with research, I know that I am only human. I can only carry SO much detail about my body.

My oncologist, who is amazing, carries that detail for me. I do not think this is an ignorant way to live...in fact, I think it helps my fight. I know I have cancer on my liver that is breast cancer. I know I have one spot on my left lung. Is there anything else a human needs to know? That is definitely overwhelming information for me if I sit down and think about it so I will tell you what I do.

I try not to think about it. I try not to let the "TMI" get in my way. I know I have an arduous battle with cancer, but I didn't invite this disease in my life and I had NO known risks for breast cancer. I am the most unlikely candidate for this disease. I ascribed to clean living, as best I could. But, I still got this disease.

I want all of you to know this so that you don't get bogged down in the detail of your daily life. Sometimes the detail is just detail. It doesn't help us do any better in our fight, it just drags us down. Now don't get me wrong. I went to more than one oncologist and I made all my physicians prove themselves to me. I am kinda a tough cookie when it comes to that stuff. However, once a doctor proves themselves...and proves their integrity over and over, I let their actions speak to me and I begin to trust.

So, if you ask me details about my cancer I don't answer, let me just let you know that it doesn't matter how many tumors I have on my liver. The fact that I have one is all I need to know. The fact that my liver function is IDEAL, even with all this chemo is amazing. The fact that my detailed liver counts are coming around and looking normal is amazing. I am battling a ferocious disease, but I am empowered by my team every day and I am empowered by the people who love me and believe in me. That is ALL OF YOU!:)

Sometimes the detail is just information...that is all it is. Don't let the TMi get you down. I try not to and I am healing because of it (and many other healthy reasons:).

Blessings!
Lolo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are not a phone person? Really????? :-) I can get you hip to some more of the lingo if you'd like. OMG, BRB, ROFL :-) Ok those were pretty basic.