Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I can't believe I am going to do this...




I said earlier that I wouldn't post pictures of me bald, but after looking through all the pictures of the kids and me and our shaving party...it just seems natural to show the one of me along with them. I am the finished product, so to speak. Jack wasn't quite sure if he should put the hair on his own head or hold it out to show Dad. Eventually, he scrapped the hair for a miniature snowman that was standing around.

Doing this blog is a growth process for me. I create this space filled with words from my experience so people won't fear cancer if it happens to them. Or if you all see someone that is bald when you are out that you might give them a smile or a kind look. Many of us don't realize that we probably view differences in an awkward fashion, or at least this is how I feel. Because of my cancer, I now try to say hi or talk to people who are bald or look different...just treat them like you and me.

I know, as a survivor, people treat me in all sorts of ways. Sometimes, people even disappear from my life. I am sure this is more out of people not knowing what to say or how to act. The truth is there is no gracious way to bridge the gap between someone going through an illness and the regular world. However, if you take a step toward them in any direction, I bet you will find they will welcome the company.

Please know that for the most part, people have been so gracious and kind to me. Unfortunately, cancer is affecting so many lives and there are many of you who have already had loved ones and family members who have gone through this fight. i just don't want anyone to be afraid if they have the cancer fight to take on. So, I am posting my bald head and as the hair grows back in...I will post that as well.

To describe the actual process, I didn't really lose all of my hair. There was some hair left, but it wasn't really filling up my scalp anymore. I went through a two-week shedding process where I would comb the hair out each morning and evening. When we shaved it, i was left with a prickly scalp. It hurts less than before because the weight is gone, but at times, it is a bit awkward.

Though I have a cute wig, since it is the summer and I am casual, I really prefer wearing do rags and hats. They are more comfortable, if you ask me. The scalp is funny without hair. I notice that my head seems a lot smaller in the do rag now and I keep having to retie it because there is little hair to keep it in place. An interesting part of this journey.

Depending on how our plan for treatment changes over the next couple of weeks, my hair could start to grow back immediately. It would take about a month for it to be visible on my scalp. I will keep you all posted regarding our treatment plan once I know more in a couple of weeks.

Blessings,
Lolo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura!

I’m so proud of you – your bravery and honesty in sharing your story is a blessing. Your life really is none of our business, but you are such an inspiration and we are fortunate you have chosen to allow us in to share your life lessons.

We fill our daily lives with so much activity, but accomplish so little that is truly meaningful. Your posts are a good reminder about keeping our priorities in order, no matter our particular life circumstances. We can’t be all things to all people and we just need to cut ourselves some slack.

I check your blog from time to time, always reading with a smile and a little chuckle. I still can’t get over you being shy. I would never have guessed you felt that way! What I do recall is that you are a tenacious girl, persistent and determined. And I know you will beat this disease.

I continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Morgan and Jack are so sweet. I love seeing the photos and I think you look great bald! Big hugs for you and – ROCK ON!

Nicole

michelle (stauffacher) andrew said...

Hi Laura,

Thank you for sharing your story. I agree with Nicole...your life is none of my business yet you have opened yourself and your family up for me to view any time I like. THANK YOU!! Thank you for the education you provide me.

I hope Morgan and Jack enjoy Tae Kwan Do. Sam is taking karate and is participating in his first tournament this weekend.

I say prayers for you and yours often.

With much respect and admiration,

Michelle

Anonymous said...

The pictures look great!!! I knew you could pull off the sexy bald look!!! If you still have the hair might consider a family project. You and the kids could make a Cousin Itt or possibly Chewbacca but the kids probably wouldn't know who they are :) Keep on laughing and kicking the cancers tushy!
Much love-
Sarah

Laura (aka Lolo) said...

Thanks so much for your support! I appreciate it so much! Laura

S. Lute said...

Heck- you've got a movie star bald head. Looks like Sigourney Weaver or Natlie Portman's head.

I'd shave my hair off since I'm losing it anyway, but mine would look like crud- all big and ugly (well... uglier :)

Scott

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else...you look awesome bald. I love reading your blog because I can relate to so much of what you talk about. It helps me not to feel so alone in my own battle with this disease. So thank you for that... You have a wonderful tenacious spirit!
Molly