Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pass It On!

Pass It On! is the name of my non-profit organization I started. We officially became a non-profit under the umbrella of the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation last week. The purpose of organization is to eradicate the fear of breast cancer through education and awareness. Komen is working for the CURE, which is exceptional. My goal is to demystify cancer...to clip its wings so its fear can not fly in your world.

I started this grassroots effort in 2005 when I got diagnosed with breast cancer. The first campaign consisted of a mailing that included a letter (with my personal story) to every woman that I knew with awareness documentation I obtained from the Susan G. Komen organization. I had evaluated various Breast Self Exam cards and determined I really liked theirs the best over other any others.

The second and third year included variations of the first year, just a little more polished. The packet has always included my own personal story along with self-exam cards and information that anyone recipient can pass on to a friend. Each recipient is to take the packet that is for them and pass the other one on to a dear person in their life. Eventually, I want to have the admin piece more streamlined so that I can spend time gathering other survivor stories from other women. I love being a conduit for other people to share...so that is my goal.

I only mail to a willing audience so either the direct individual will give me addresses or a friend will give the address. Either way, we try to make sure that we are only mailing to people who want awareness documentation and will be receptive to it. The reason for this is that there is a lot of thought and time put into the way we create the packet. We want to make it easy for people, but at the same time...I don't want people to think I believe they will get cancer because I got it. I don't want to push a negative message on anyone, only a positive message.

This year, we are working on creating educational events that would allow survivor stories to couple with oncology and breast health nurses. This way the education piece will still happen. I can tell you my story in layman's terms, but I am not an official medical health professional so I want a nurse there to help me along the way and create a message of positivity. All of these efforts may take time, but the end goal is to be the liasion between the medical community and the normal woman.

I don't want Komen self exam cards staying on the shelf somewhere...I want them in the hands of women who want to take charge of their health. I want all people, male or female, to take charge of their health. However, I know that my experience as a survivor has given me credibility in this area, in breast cancer. So, because of that, this is my cause.

I will be working on a website over the next six months. For the 2008 campaign, if you want to add yourself to the mailing, please email me at lplunkett@kc.rr.com. This is great for friends, family, etc. This year's packet will have pictures of my whole family and talk a lot about what chemotherapy is like....the demystification of chemotherapy. The message will be light, but we will also have Komen documentation enclosed as well. We would love to include any and all of you...your mother"s, your friends, your family. For those of you who give me names and addresses, we will let the recipient know that you were the one who gave us this information.

The mailing is continuing to grow into many things. We may be involved in some health awareness events this year at hospitals. Additionally, we are working to get speaking events scheduled for the Fall. I am starting small, just wanting to make myself available to businesses, churches, or schools to provide awareness documentation and answer questions. If that is something anyone you all are interested in, just email me as well.

One passionate person, making a difference one day at a time. That is Pass It On. All great movements of change begin with one passionate person. That is me and it could be YOU! Think about it...

Blessings,
Lolo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Folks~
If you are NOT on this mailing list...you need to NOW!
Laura is so full of information as you can tell. But this packet she sends you--it's the best present I receive each year!
The breast-check reminder hangs in my shower with little punch out dots for each month. A great way to remind me to A) do my regular check and B) think of a very special person God has put in my path....Laura!

So email her with your address--email her with your girlfriends addresses. It's soooo worth it!

Laura, Congrats again on your non-for-profit status! You are doing such a great thing by informing all of us of these things. God really created a masterpiece with you my friend!

xo's~
Pepper :)