Sunday, June 15, 2008

If you see this newscaster...




Ok, so I am not really a newscaster, but I think all wigs pretty much look like newscaster hair. Every hair is in place, it is just kind of funny. I really hate the hair loss process of the chemotherapy, however, once it is all gone it is a lot easier to accept. Right now, I am opting for a lot of do-rags and hats, just because they are not as hot as a wig and my scalp is still pretty sore. But honestly, wigs aren't so bad. This one was pretty reasonably priced and my hair stylist cut it for me so it looks more like my normal hair. I think it probably does look better than my real hair and it certainly is easier to maintain. You just throw it on and GO!

However, part of me feels fake wearing a wig. I want to tell people I see that it is fake so they don't think I am trying to cover anything up. It is ridiculous of me to worry about it as much as I do...so I am trying not to. I am working on throwing vanity aside for my health. I have done it before so I will do it again. I am also working on NOT trying to make people feel comfortable with my cancer. Not everyone is comfortable with talking about things directly and that is okay. That is why the blog is a good thing for me because I can educate those that want to learn from my experience. I can also update people and let them know I am okay. This journey is so interesting, I think I learn so much from everyone else.

My own hair is starting to grow back in already. My scalp actually hurt pretty bad this weekend because one of my meds causes a rash on the scalp while the other meds (chemo) have made the hair fall out. I think my poor follicles are really confused, but it does seem that the hair-growing process is winning out over anything else. I am sure I will have some good hair growth to show in a couple of weeks or so, but for now...I will just show you some of my looks every once in a while. I do feel silly putting pictures of myself up here, but I think it is important so that you all can see that I look fine and that I am doing well. The point is to show what it is like to live with cancer. Last week was a doozy for me, but for the most part, the days are pretty good and the side effects are tolerable. And, I am loved and getting healthier every day...it seems that my life is pretty good. I have much to be thankful for.

Alright, more later. I hope all of you had an exceptional Father's Day!

Blessings,
Lolo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura,

I've been keeping up with your blog and it's pretty good. I also came across some good blogger templates you might be interested in. I've used a couple of them and found them pretty useful:

http://btemplates.com/

Keep up the good writing.

- Mark T.

Laura (aka Lolo) said...

Thanks, Mark T! I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Laura,
I'm a few days behind but I wanted to tell you that the wig looks wonderful!!! Great cut and color for you! Thanks for all the great information...keep it coming!

Love,
Diedre