Tuesday, July 22, 2008

An anniversary.

This time last year, I was in surgery. I was having my lungs operated on, with two small masses being removed and the bottom lobe of my lung excised for precautionary purposes. We just got back from Omaha and I have lots of cleaning to do, but I did just want to stop and take a moment and tell you all about this anniversary.

Though many people view surgery as a bad thing, a necessary evil. I view it as a tool for battle. Most of my surgeons have been extremely kind and thoughtful people who have pushed me forward on my pursuit of healing. This was true of my lung surgeon. Even when recuperating, he would remind me of the bike and that I needed to get up and get out of bed so that I could eventually get back on the bike. By the time I left the hospital, I was walking two miles a day around the hospital because I needed to believe I could do it.

The surgery is the source of the scene I wrote about with my daughter and me...that is the story MY THIRD LUNG. The surgery is also to be a source for at least two chapters in the book i am working on. The surgery got in the way of my bike training, but if I am looking at the big picture...it only helped me in the long run. It was a success. I skated through recovery, not because I am special, but because I believed I could do it.

Cancer has gotten in the way of my bike training this year, too, but it will not slow me down in terms of life goals. I may have to cut back on the races I wanted to be involved in because of the logistics with chemo. But, I plan to ride the bike tonight on the anniversary of my surgery and relish the fact that I can do this while on chemo. Resilience is really the theme for this journey, resilience and hope.

So, if I can ride the MS150 after this major surgery, then YOU can do whatever it is you want to do with your health. You have the power to make change. There is no difference between us in terms of capabilities. We are the same. You can overcome any obstacle and make positive things happen in your life! Believing in yourself is the first step. Just like I got out of the hospital bed and started taking those steps towards getting back on the bike....so can each of you!

Blessings,
Lolo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back from Omaha! WOWSIE! (I can't believe I just used that word-wierd for me) I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S ONLY BEEN A YEAR SINCE YOUR LUNG SURGERY! It's seems like forever ago -must be due to the measurable milestones in between. That is so awesome to think it's only been a year and you have packed in so much. You certainly walk the talk LP! - miracles (obvious to the eye and not obvious to the eye) happen every minute -everyday -Faith-Postitive Thinking and Believing create cause and effect! You are Proof!

Okay - I am off to the gym this pm -thanks for the needed push - after reading your blog I have no more excuses. ha ha
oh one more thing - the 'skinny bitch' has almost ruined me for eating animal. yick
JLL

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON A SPLENDID and RESILIENT YEAR! WAY TO GO GIRL!!!!
Jenn