Monday, July 7, 2008

Living with cancer

Today, Morgan, Jack and I got a lot of things done. We went to the store and then took my nephew to the pool with us. We had a great afternoon. Then, I took all three kids to tae kwon do. They are getting ready for testing for belts. The first belt is an orange belt. Jack will test on Thursday and Morgan will test on Monday.

Part of the reason we do tae kwon do is to build confidence. The world is filled with various tests and life lessons that the kids have to endure. Formalized schooling requires so much of the kids. I think they enjoy these boundaries, the gentle nudge that testing provides is to remind them that they are capable. They are able to do what is asked. My kids are quiet and have difficulty speaking directly to adults. I want them to be confident, but not cocky.

I know this will be a gentle balance as they get more confident and start making progress in their belts, but I do appreciate how tae kwon do teaches respect of peers. The kids are expected to honor other kids before themselves. If they have a belt higher than another child, they are expected to willingly help others. They are expected to do good.

I am pleased that the kids are enjoying martial arts. Of course, it is their choice to take the classes. I am just glad that I have found a discipline they seem to enjoy that also reinforces the values of our family. We try to put an emphasis on public service, on doing good with your talents and living a purposeful life. We don't always get it right, but we just keep trying.

Some days I get to be the mom I want to be and live with cancer without letting it affect my ability to help my kids. Today was one of those days.

Blessings,
Lolo

No comments: