Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Yesterday was a great day.

On most days, I am sure I could spend the whole day at the computer either researching or writing. It is becoming my comfort zone. Of course, I love riding my bike and am trying to get back on the bike more, but I have found that life is about balance. Writing and cycling both keep me in balance. So do my relationships.

Yesterday, my sister and I took the kids on a tour of a police station. We have a good friend who is my nephew's personal hero and who is a policeman. He gave us a tour of a police station where he works. It was so cute to see Morgan (7), Thatcher (5), Jack (4) and Landrum (nearly 3) walk around the station. Mo, Jack and Thatch were ready. Landrum was a little hesitant about seeing a jail, though, in his playtime he even locks my mom up in jail. Too cute!

We got to see the dispatch and the jail and just walk around the station. They also got to see the police car with the lights on. They have all ridden in a car before, too. They LOVE the car. Thatcher, who has been anticipating this moment for about a year, had a prepared question. It was pretty adorable. I swear it is moments like this that keep me human and grounded. Like I said, if given the time, I could probably sit at my computer all day or just study and read all day. But, my kids and my nephews on both sides of the family are such a blessing.

I am sure most of you parents and aunts and uncles would agree that kids keep us young. I think they also keep us honest and they help us to be real people. My kids wouldn't let me be phony person if I tried. Morgan would have me pinned against the wall with her truthful personality and I am glad for it. I still can get lost in my writer's head. I can create theories and stories all of the time, but then they are can fly out of my head as quickly as they came in. Because I am so busy with the kids, I don't have a lot of time to write now.

But, the playing with my kids does feed my soul so that I can go back to the drawing board and rethink my writing ideas. I always talk about my book on this blog and elsewhere. Well, I have about three books in my head. I am actively working on one, but there are a couple of other ideas that have popped into my head. I usually wait to see if any idea keeps coming back to me. Right now, all three have come back to me and are waiting for me to do something with them. These are all books about my story, a breast cancer survivors story. They are just from different vantage points.

Today, I am going to brainstorm with a friend regarding one of these ideas. I can't really tell you about the ideas because I want them to be a surprise, but for now I am just excited that the ideas are flowing. Spending time with my kids and nephews helps me to feed the writing side in my personality. So does cycling and a variety of other things. The irony about my cancer is that it has made me slow down and, as a result, I am actually living my dream of being a mom and being a writer. Funny how that works, huh?

What is that old adage that life is what happens when you are planning! So true. I still plan, but I try to let life happen more than I used to. I am living in the eye of a storm called cancer, yet I am able to live a relatively productive and peaceful life. I am more content than ever before because of the love that surrounds me. Life is good. I hope each of you are surrounded by love and are living your dream!

Blessings,
Lolo

No comments: