Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A legitimate writer, featured in REDBOOK!


So here is a picture of me with a check for my FIRST published story. I won first-runner up in this contest and am going to have my picture, name and a snippet of the story featured in the October 2008 Redbook. Yes, THE REDBOOK! So cool. The contest was for a publication in a book, called a Cup of Comfort for Breast Cancer Survivors. Then Redbook hooked into the contest and decided to feature the winner's story, in full, and the three runner's up in the way I mentioned above. I really can't believe it. I keep forgetting to tell people because I really can't believe it. So if you have gotten a random email from me about the contest win, it is because it came to my mind at that moment and I had to share.

For years I have known I would write stories. I have always talked about it, but I thought I would write fiction. But, cancer got in the way and I took an early retirement from working and my need to write my story took over. I don't have much time during the summer to write because I am so focused on the kids, but my plan is to have my book fully outlined in the Fall so I can start submitting to publishers when the Redbook and the Cup of Comfort book comes out.

Michael and I are going to scan this check and frame it. Writing helps me to make sense of this cancer journey, it helps me to help other people and pass on what I know. I am sure it helps me more than any of you, but that is just the way it works. Giving is a gift, in and of itself.

I will remind you all about the Redbook, and the COC book as we get closer to publication. I would be honored if an of you read my story...or bought the Redbook when it comes out! (It is called MY THIRD LUNG and it is a story of Morgan and me in my recovery from lung surgery. It is from her eyes.)

Blessings,
Lolo

2 comments:

Rose said...

Congrats Laura! I am so amazingly proud of you. Come October, I'm going to convince everyone I know to buy Redbook!! It's an awesome article too. Bet Morgan is proud.

Anonymous said...

I am so freakin proud of you! That is really an accomplishment. You rule!