Monday, July 14, 2008

Running the bases!

Michael and I went to the Kansas City Royals game yesterday with Morgan and Jack. It was an end of the t-ball season event. It was a lot of fun. Though my energy is sporadic at time, this weekend was so much better. I did chemotherapy on Friday and they took one of the meds off of my treatment. It made all the difference in the world. This weekend was a bit of a dream in comparison to past chemo weekends. I am not working out yet, but my plan is to ramp up to working out by next week. I am going to try to ride my bike a couple of times this week and see how I do.

Anyway, we went to the game late and stayed late to run the bases at Kauffman Stadium. I have been going to this baseball field my whole life. I even remember the first game we went to...I got confused because I was about six. I thought we just drove up to this game and it was going on. I had no idea we bought tickets and planned to go. I remember asking my mom and dad lots of questions. I was a t-ball player so I was getting used to the rules of baseball, but I didn't know why we were there at that game watching that team. I didn't know WHY we were Royal's fans instead of fans for some other team.

By the end of the game, I figured it all out. I left with a lot of knowledge, a baseball cap, and a sunburn. My poor Mom and Dad had to answer all those questions. I know their pain because my kids ask lots of questions now. I guess inquisitive parents have inquisitive children.

The line for running the bases was SOOOO long yesterday, but we had talked it up so much to the kids that we had to do it. Michael and I joked about bribing them out of line, like getting them ice cream or something. But, I must admit, running the bases was an awesome experience. Mo and Jack raced Michael around the field and I briskly walked the bases. I made sure to touch each base. Home plate was missing, but the rest were there. The field was extremely impressive. We took a picture with the four of us.

I realize that most people might think this experience is commonplace, that it is something they could do anytime. Maybe it is because of my cancer or maybe it is because I am a writer, but I get sentimental these days. Though the line was long and it was hot, the experience was worth it all. As I hit third base, I was thinking what it would be like to be a player, to be on this field or a field most days. I am sure it gets easy to take it for granted, it is just the way we are made. But living your dream is a spectacular experience. I am just starting to figure this out.

But, Morgan asked me to pinch her before we hit the field because she wanted to make sure she wasn't dreaming...then I asked her to pinch me back. We laughed. What a sweet kid to know it is a privilege to have that experience. I know this post is sappy, but I get to be sentimental because I am bald. :) I hope that each of you have pinch-me moments this week.

Blessings,
Lolo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura- I'm trying to make some do rags for my cousin who is losing her hair during chemo. Your camo one is really cute. Do you know where your friend got it?

Laura (aka Lolo) said...

Wal-mar! I got a light brown camo one, too and I wear both of those all of the time. Also, I got a great orange one from American Eagle Outfitters, but Wal-mart has a really great selection...$.99 each.