Thursday, July 24, 2008

The lymphatic system.

The lymphatic system is such a complicated subject matter. So, I am going to try to explain things as best I can while reminding you that I am not a doctor. Our bodies have a multitude of lymph nodes throughout the body. If you saw a map of the lymphatic system in the body, it would look like several branches with connective points (nodes) along the branches. The nodes collect lymph fluid from our appendages (arms, legs) and our major organs.

According to wikipedia, the lymphatic system has three major functions. 1) It removes fluid from tissues. 2) It transports and absorbs fatty acids and fats as chyle to the circulatory system (don't know what this means) 3) It produces immune cells, such as lymphocytes that fight off infection.

I would really like to focus on point 1 and point 3. Point 1 talks about the removal of fluid. With cancer treatment, doctors will often remove surrounding lymph nodes and test them to determine if the cancer has spread. In my case, they had a sophisticate test that could source the lymph nodes closest to my tumor on the left breast. Even so, they removed 5 lymph nodes, which is a small number in relation to my peers.

However, there is a risk that takes place because of this removal of any lymph nodes. The lymphatic system can become stressed because there are less nodes so when it comes to swelling of the arms, the process to bring fluid back in to tissue in the core of you body, the lymphatic system may seem more taxed. Many breast cancer survivors have to do preventive things to ward off lymphedema. This is a condition where the body has trouble removing the excess fluid from the arms and the arm that as affected becomes swollen.

So, what does this mean to me? Well, I have gone into an Occupational Therapist and done learned preventive exercises. I have not had any major lymph issues because I exercise and because I don't take any risks with my left arm. No blood pressure can be taken out of that arm and they can never take blood from that arm...so that limits some of my medical treatment. However, we have worked around it. I have a port in my right arm which the treatment meds go into...so no arms are available for blood pressure. They take blood pressure out my leg, which is funny to me. I am used to it by now.

When I have had to go into the hospital, Michael is always tenacious about making sure they put signs on the wall so that no nurse or assistant will take my blood pressure or blood from my left arm. They usually put signs up, but if they don't, he will make sure they get that done. It is important because my lymph system is already taxed from having 5 less nodes than before. Some survivors have up to or more than 17 removed.

I also got a compression sleeve that I wear at night sometimes. It helps to keep the flow of lymph fluid away from my arm. I can't wear the sleeve for long as it is pretty tight and I have the smallest size. However, I just wear it when I notice even the smallest swelling in my arm. This can be when it is hot out and we are more prone to swell. Because there is more fluid to extract from the arms, it takes longer for it to happen. So, I try to do things to help the process along...like stretching the arm and wearing the sleeve for a little.

Okay, gotta take a break. I will write more in a bit about lymph tissue and the warding off of infection factor.

Blessings,
Lolo

No comments: